Social media jobs are in demand and they come with flexible hours. You can work from the comfort of your own home, and there is no boss looking over your shoulder.
What is a social network?
A social network is an online community that allows users to communicate with each other through a centralized web-based service. Online communities may allow users to share content, videos or messages with other users via email or instant messaging services, or to create content themselves within a shared workspace (e. g., wikis).
The common feature of social networking sites is that they allow users to create a public profile page or a semi-public profile page containing some or all of the user’s personal information, photographs posted by the user, affiliations with other individuals, groups, or institutions, interests or preferences that describe the user’s personality and hobbies, and other information that the user chooses to make public.
Users may be able to interact with other users through an online chat function or instant messaging.
Online communities typically allow users to share various types of personal information about themselves. This may include information regarding their interests, their preferences, their age or birth date, their location (through geotagging), their sexual orientation (through profiles or by connecting to a dating site), their religion (through profiles or by connecting to religious sites), their occupation (through profiles or by connecting to professional networking sites), and their education level (through profiles or by connecting to educational institutions).
What does a social media manager do?
A Social Media Manager is responsible for managing the social media presence of a brand. The social media manager must be a jack of all trades, being familiar with all the major social media platforms, and know how to effectively use each one. T
The best social media managers have a creative side and are constantly coming up with new ideas to engage their audience.
A job as a social media manager is not something you can apply for online. You need connections and resources to get connected to the right jobs.
Here are some tips to help you get a job as a social media manager:
- Know the basics of each social media site. This includes what is popular on each site, the best ways to share content, and how to effectively communicate using that site.
- Be able to create content for each social media site. You will need to develop unique content that relates to your brand or company’s goals while still resonating with your target audience.
- Connect with influencers in your industry on social media. These people have large followings on their specific sites, and can help promote your content or business if they like what they see.
- Create a unique persona for each site you are managing. This includes creating different usernames, bios, images, etc. You want to make sure you stand out from other brands or companies on that site.
- Use your creativity to come up with new ways to engage your audience through social media. Experiment with new features and see what works best for your audience.
Social Media Manager salaries
Salary Social Media Managers earn an average of $54,000 per year which translates into $26 per hour if you work a 40-hour work week without any overtime pay included in the salary calculations.
How to get started
Think you have what it takes for a job in social media? Find a job that pays $50,000 to over $100,000 per year here.